Medicines – Hopeful prospect to Parkinson’s disease
Parkinson’s Disease Treatment, is spreading worldwide and affecting a population of about 10 million around the globe every year is a neurological disorder. The disease usually affects people of old age. This disease was named after the British doctor who was the first one to write about it .He named it ‘The Shaking palsy’. There are several facts about Parkinson’s disease:
- More likely to get affected from this disease as compared to women.
- White people are more influenced by this disorder than African-American or Asians.
- It Men usually occurs between 50 – 60 years but there are 10% chances to occur as early as 20 years.
What is Parkinson’s disease?
Parkinson’s disease is a disorder which has a severe impact on mobility and muscle control. It iscaused by the loss of nerve cells in the specific part of the brain or by the death of nerve cells. The cells in substantianigra areresponsible for communicating with the other movement control centres of the body by secreting dopamine. The death of substantialnigra cells stops the secretion of dopamine leading to unregulated movement control centres, tremors, obscure facial expressions.
What are the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease?
Parkinson’s disease has some earliest symptoms like anosomia, constipation and these symptoms lead to several other problems:
- Unbalanced and slow movements
- Stiffness in body
- Sleep disturbances
- Stiff facial expression
Several risk factors and genetic mutations areassociated with Parkinson’s disease including oxidative stress, the formation of free radicals and environmental toxins. It has been researched that Parkinson’s disease in individual reflects a combination of genetic factors and environmental exposure.
Treatment for Parkinson’s disease
The treatment for Parkinson’s disease has an objective to build up the proper balance of neurotransmitter and dopamine in the body. This disease cannot be cured but it can be controlled, and the symptoms can be alleviated.
The Parkinson’s disease can be attempted by increasing the levels of dopamine in the brain or by other means. Several other approaches for treating Parkinson’s disease are also available nowadays:
- The surgical method is preferred when medicines fail to control the symptoms of the disease. Two surgical approaches available are Pallidotomy and Thalamotomy.
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is preferred by the patients. This treatment inactivates the part of the brain that causes the symptoms.
- A more precise treatment introduced – Gamma Knife Treatment. It is actually done with gamma knife which emits powerful gamma radiations resulting a more precise and concentrated treatment.
Medicines available in the market
Drugs supplying the brain with L-DOPA have prominentlybeen recommended in allopathic treatment. This drug has strong effects in relieving rigidity and abnormalities. There are manytreatments in Ayurveda also. Oleation and Fomentation are the basis of this treatment. Many other medicated oils are used to cure the disease by doing massage.
The treatments of Parkinson’s disease is individualized and practised depending on various factors including general health and symptoms of the individual. A number of new treatments for Parkinson’s disease are under development.